Our building, at 62 East 4th Street has such a rich and colorful history. It was built as a social hall in 1889. The building hosted meetings by John Philip Sousa as he established the first musicians union in NYC as well as organizational meetings by the ILGWU (International Ladies Garment Workers Union). East 4th Street was at the center of social activism at the turn of the century.
In the 1930's, the ballroom where these meetings were held was converted into a theater which continues in operation. A stage and proscenium were added, the murals from the original construction remained. It was used by many Yiddish theater companies of the time, it housed a television studio where many early TV shows were filmed.
In 1969, Andy Warhol rented the 150 seat Fortune Theater(as it was called then) at 62 East Fourth Street.